Navigation

Saturday, December 28, 2013

180 STREET TACOS

Where: 180 Street Tacos & Chopped Salads (phew! Long name!), 3368 N University Ave, Provo

Who Went: Chelsey & Owen

Number of Visits: 2

What We Ordered: 4 Tacos -- Buffalo Chicken, Thai Fried Chicken, Steak Asada & Mojo Roasted Pork, plus Chimichurri Mac & Cheese

What It Cost: $11.24

What We Thought:

Crazy tacos with unheard-of flavor combinations -- yeah, count us in! 

When this place first opened, I was a little hesitant because the sign looked pretty temporary out front, and the name seemed long and annoying (I make quick judgments, okay?). But after hearing about it from a few people and scoping out their menu online, I decided a visit must be made! Of course it was made as a very last-minute decision so I only had my phone to take pictures on, not my real camera...I apologize, but this place was pretty good, so I figured I needed to share anyway! 


Okay -- let's start with my tacos. I'm a little annoying and a show-off, so obviously I wanted to order the spiciest taco on the menu to see if I could handle it. The Thai Fried Chicken taco was the only one with two chili peppers by its title, so naturally, I ordered it. The chicken had good flavor, and I really liked the fruity-cucumber slaw which totally counteracted the hotness and made it very bearable for those looking for some heat. We were a little disappointed with the tortillas over all -- these tacos only have one tortilla (many street taco places I've visited usually use two, for good reason...) and the tortillas broke on nearly all of our tacos, causing fillings to fall out. Not a huge tragedy of course, but I'd recommend picking up a fork because you might be eating the remains of your taco more in salad-style.


Owen got the Mojo Pork and Carne Asada -- he prefered the carne asada, with its crispy strips and flavorful meat, though I actually liked the pork one better! So, I guess they are both good :) Same problem with the tortillas though. Use caution!


I ordered the chimichurri mac and cheese because it sounded weird and I'd never had anything like it before. I liked the wonton strips and chimichurri flavor added it -- it was a good combo. But the mac was a little dry and not very warm, kinda like you had heated it up 15 minutes before and then had to take a phone call or something. Would prefer saucier and warmer mac and cheese, please.


This horrendous picture doesn't really look like anything...but surprise -- its the buffalo chicken taco! Yeah, never thought I'd put those words together. But it was yummy! They pickled mirepoix (chopped celery, carrots and onion) added a nice crunch to the slightly spicy chicken, and I was a huge fan of the corn. Owen thought the taco was kinda weird, but I really enjoyed it, so I guess if you like weirdness, then this is the place for you (and me :)

What You Should Do: I would definitely say this place is worth a visit or two. Its super cheap (as tacos should be :) and they have something fun and creative that will definitely interest most palates. If they would start wrapping these tasty little morsels in two tortillas, I would be soooo close to giving them four stars because they are really fun and a good value, but for now, its still an awesome place to visit, and we will probably be stopping by there another when I don't feel like cooking!
Read other reviews here:
180 Street Tacos & Chopped Salads on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review Chelsey! We love new customers and always welcome feedback.

    We've worked really hard to create a tortilla that holds up with all of the taco fillings - we hope your experience was just an anomaly! We totally agree that having a tortilla fall apart in your hands is not the way to eat a taco.

    We'd like to invite you back in for another tasting on us! And please, if you ever want a second tortilla or extra toppings or anything else, all you have to do is ask. We can customize any menu item, hence our "Tacos Without Rules" motto :)

    Send us a message directly on Facebook and we'll hook it up when you come in next!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...