Navigation

Friday, January 27, 2012

Diego's Taco Shop

I wish I had known that I wanted to be a restaurant critic blogger my whole career here at BYU because then I probably would have had the foresight to take photos at every place I've ever eaten in the past three years. Sadly, I only had this revelation last week, so I do not have photographs of all of the meals we have partaken. Many places we are excited to try again, and this time I'll remember to tote along the camera -- but there are a few places that were either mediocre or horrible, and I don't really want to waste another dime there again. This is the story of one of those places.

Where: Diego's Taco Shop, 45 W 300 N, Provo (kind of near Smith's grocery store, hard to find, not worth it)

Who Went: Chelsey & Owen

Number of Visits: 1

What We Ordered: Carne Asada burrito, 2 Al Pastor tacos

What It Cost: $6.93

What We Thought:


When I was in high school in Washington, I used to work at a fireworks stand in the summer. Classy, I know. There were two things that were incredibly awesome about this gig -- getting paid in cash and Super Burrito Express. This place was the ultimate when it comes to down & dirty Mexican food -- we're talking pulling a big slab of pork straight from the back of the scary white van where it probably wasn't even refrigerated. I probably caught at least 50 stomach viruses those summers, but it was so worth it. It was Super Burrito Express where I learned the magic of Jarritos and the wonder of the Al Pastor burrito.

When I heard about Diego's Taco Shop, and their famed hole-in-the-wall Mexican food, I began to dream again about the Al Pastor. I ordered Al Pastor tacos, and Owen went with his favorite, the Carne Asada burrito. We waited in anticipation (and in some dim, fluorescent lighting) and got our salsas - only 2 containers allowed per person! Stingy much?


Grave disappointment is only the tip of the iceberg of my feelings. My tacos were underseasoned, dry, and altogether wimpy. There was hardly any filling, and after inhaling them, I was left with the feeling, "Was that it?"

But at least my meal didn't make me want to retch in a nearby trash receptacle.

Owen's meal on the other hand...wow. We couldn't even finish it. The sauce that smothered the burrito literally tasted like Spagetti-O's sauce. Not a good combination with the leathery, super salty "steak" that filled the burrito. Next time I want to relive my childhood lunches, I'll skip the wait and spend the $1.50 at Smiths in the Chef Boyardee section.

What You Should Do: Avoid at all costs. Do not go here. Even if a really hot date asks you there and you don't want to offend him, just say no. Your stomach will thank you. Dear Provo, these are NOT real tacos. I actually haven't found a decent taco shop yet, but when I do, you will be the first to know!


Some people may say, "Oh you're too harsh! You've only been there once and you really should have ordered _____ instead." No. I don't care. One horrible experience is enough. There should never be any horrible experiences at a good restaurant.  

Diego's Taco Shop on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember the name but you can get some decent real tacos around the corner from Diego's by laser assault.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome - thanks for the tip! We'll add them to our list

      Delete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...