Navigation

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Sammy's Cafe

One reason I really wanted to start this blog is because I am tired of reviewers always agreeing with what's popular. What kind of food critic just agrees with what everyone's saying on Urbanspoon or something else? Some restaurants are popular because they are actually good. But there are a few restaurants that are popular for no good reason at all -- they are just trendy and receive a lot of hype, but are either overpriced, or have poor service, or just aren't worth it. And I want to warn you about these ones so you don't get your hopes dashed like I did! Here is one of those hope-dashing experiences...

Where: Sammy's Cafe, 27 N 100 W, Provo (just off of Center street, between Univ Ave and Freedom)

Who Went: Chelsey & Owen

Number of Visits: 1

What We Ordered: Raspberry Cheesecake Shake, Sweet Potato Fries, The Promo Burger, El Paso "Burger" (WARNING: They sneak chicken burgers in there on the menu and you may not even notice it, just like me, and you will be very sad when what you ordered is not actually a burger, but a sissy sandwich instead)

What It Cost: $19.50

What We Thought: 

Let me just say that I was really excited to try this place. BYU students are crazy about a few restaurants -- J Dawg's, Cafe Rio, The Pie (even though it's in SLC...), and Sammy's is one of those few. We went on a pretty warm day in the summer, which was the first of our mistakes. The tiny place was PACKED -- even the crappy picnic tables they set up outside were full, and it was way hot in there. I'm pretty sure that the place would not pass general health code standards because while we were waiting for our food, we noticed fruit flies cruising lazily from the garbage can (which was open and right next to where we were supposedly going to eat) to the kitchen and to the restaurant guests. Not very appetizing.


We started out with a Raspberry Cheesecake shake, since they are "famous" for their pie shakes. What an underwhelming experience. The only thing different between this shake and something you might pick up from McDonald's is the price. There was no evidence that this beverage once was a pie, and it was super runny and overall disappointing for the $4.29 price tag. We slurped it up in 15 seconds and then proceeded to wait in the fly corner for another 15 minutes until some more food was ready.


Then we got our fries, which I fully blame for Owen's hatred of sweet potato fries (fortunately, this was recently remedied by Guru's...more on that later!). These were too thin, too crunchy, and too flavorless. The fry sauce was okay, nothing special but not gag-inducing, but Owen refused to eat any more of the fries, much to my great sadness. I am a huge sweet potato fry lover, and this was Owen's first time having them. Bummer.



Owen ordered "The Promo" burger, which was pretty much your basic bacon cheeseburger. Meh. Everything tasted fresh at least, but nothing blew my mind. The burger itself was a little overdone and dry, but it was alright. And it was served with sweet pickles -- when will restaurants learn that EVERYONE PREFERS DILL? Sorry, personal vendetta there...



And I got El Paso burger. Like I mentioned previously, I had a blonde moment and didn't realize this was a chicken burger, so I was pretty put out when it arrived. For a chicken burger it was fairly decent I guess -- the avocado mash on it compensated for the lack of flavor in the chicken, and I really wish I could have tasted that pepperjack cheese I paid for. 

What You Should Do: Go if you have to. It's not BAD really, it's just not that great. Just because you throw the word "Famous" in front of your restaurant's advertising campaign doesn't make you have good food, I'm sorry. I think people just go there for the hole-in-the-wall, I-went-there-before-anyone-knew-about-it appeal, and sometimes people just think food tastes better if it's more expensive. If you want a pie shake that actually tastes like it contains pie, drive down the road to The Malt Shoppe instead and order the Jumble Berry Pie shake. Nothing else on their menu is really that spectacular, but the Jumble Berry Pie shake is a diamond in the rough my friends. 

Sammy's Café on Urbanspoon

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comment. It's fun to see other local reviewers. I'm thinking of compiling a list of food bloggers from Utah County, so I'll keep you in mind.

    And agreed, burgers sound great on the menu but then are usually overdone & lack seasoning. Try their veggie sandwich. Also, their shakes can be hit or miss, but I loooove their banana cream pie shake. Can't remember if I like Guru's or Sammy's sweet potato fries better--one I love & one I don't love, but I haven't had either for awhile, so I can't remember. See ya around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I would love to read reviews from other Utah County bloggers as well! You'll definitely have to hit up the Guru's sweet potato fries soon - I swear I dream about them 6 out of 7 nights a week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great review! I went there for the first time last night and the bun on my burger tasted like it was two weeks old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is extremely easy to peruse and acknowledge without forgetting any subtle elements. Incredible work! Very informative post!
    If you want to learn more about Best Massage Machine, you visit now

    ReplyDelete
  5. Commenting on your blog post is simply amazing. I have learned a lot of things from your content and I would love to check out your website often. It helped me a lot and I am really thankful to you for mentioning relevant content. I have also subscribed your blog and will go through its details every now and then.
    If you want to learn more about 10 Best Massage Machine Reviews, you visit now

    ReplyDelete
  6. The website loading speed is amazing. It kind of feels that you’re doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you have done a fantastic activity on this subject!
    If you want to learn more about 10 Best Massage Machine Reviews, you visit now

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I am really impressed by the way you detailed out everything. It’s very informative and you are obviously very knowledgeable in this field. Thanks for sharing such an amazing post with us.
    If you want to learn more about Foot Massagers Review, you visit now

    ReplyDelete
  8. Needed to compose you a tiny note to finally thank you very much yet again for your personal splendid methods you have discussed above. It is strangely open-handed with people like you to provide publicly all that a number of people would have marketed as an electronic book to generate some bucks for their own end, primarily now that you could possibly have tried it if you ever wanted. These inspiring ideas likewise acted like a fantastic way to know that the rest have the same dreams really like my personal own to see a whole lot more concerning this problem. I’m sure there are thousands of more enjoyable times in the future for many who check out your blog.
    If you want to learn more about Foot Massagers Review, you visit now

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work
    If you want to learn more about Foot Massagers Review, you visit now

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will really appreciate the writer’s choice for choosing this excellent article appropriate to my matter.Here is deep description about the article matter which helped me more.
    If you want to learn more about best massage machine, you visit now

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work
    If you want to learn more about Foot Massagers Review, you visit now

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome post. I’m a normal visitor of your web site and appreciate you taking the time to maintain the nice site. I’ll be a frequent visitor for a long time.
    If you want to learn more about Foot Massagers Review, you visit now

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work.
    If you want to learn more about Best Back Massage Machine, you visit now

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a great and comprehensive article…all the tips enumerated and explained will be helpful for those who are wise enough to tap from it. Any business nowadays without social media signals and presence may not make it to the outermost, and investment too is part of the key to success in business. Keep up the good work.
    If you want to learn more about Best Calf Massager, you visit now

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice article, thanks has been sharing this information. Do not forget to visit our website to share information and knowledge about health.

    If you want to learn more about Best Cordless Massager, you visit now

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like it because my fingers can move fast and and it’s like a challenge and I like it but why sooooo many ads that’s in called for that’s what the problem is you need to fix it so the better this game can be the more u are happy and others. That’s every thing I think of this came
    If you want to learn more about Kitchen and Dining, you visit now

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed over read your blog post. Your blog has nice information, I got good ideas from this amazing blog. I am always searching like this type blog post. I hope I will see again.
    If you want to learn more about Kitchen and Dining, you visit now

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice article, thanks has been sharing this information. Do not forget to visit our website to share information and knowledge about health.
    If you want to learn more about Kitchen and Dining, you visit now

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really appreciate this article Thanks For Sharing People also like this Awesome post.
    I have also gone through your other posts too and they are also very much appreciate able and I’m just waiting for your next update to come as I like all your posts.
    If you want to learn more about Kitchen and Dining, you visit now

    ReplyDelete
  20. In the wake of examining your article I was shocked. I understand that you clear up it extraordinarily well. In addition, I assume that diverse peruses will in like manner experience how I feel in the wake of scrutinizing your article. If you want to learn more about Health Care, you visit now

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...