Navigation

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Delipan Bakery

Where: Delipan Bakery, 355 S Freedom Blvd, Provo

Who Went: Chelsey

Number of Visits: 1

What I Ordered: Concha with sprinkles, Cono, Napoleones, Dulce de Leche EmpaƱada, Galleta

What It Cost: $4.33

What I Thought: 


What is the deal with French bakeries always getting all the press? Guilty as everyone else, I decided to branch out and try this highly rated Mexican bakery as a little treat for myself after getting my immunizations updated. Everyone deserves pastries after getting shots, in my opinion.

The first thing of note about this bakery is HOW CHEAP IT IS! Compared to Les Madeleines or Eliane's, this place is a miracle. They have tons of selection, and practically everything is under $2. I decided to get a whole range of items because they were pretty much the same price as just getting one pastry anywhere else I've been.



The Napoleon was Owen's favorite of the bunch - thick chocolate frosting on top, layers of pastry, dulce de leche, and cream inside, with a nutty exterior. The one thing to watch out for with this bakery was that for us, it was really hit-and-miss. Some pastries we really enjoyed, like the Napoleon, and others were pretty unappetizing. So if you get one you don't like right away, don't fear - there are some good ones out there too!


This cono was my personal favorite - it probably would have been Owen's favorite too except I managed to eat it all before getting home to share with him! It was a buttery pastry cone filled with creamy custard - yum! It was like eating a giant and more solid cream puff...delicious.


I knew before even buying it that this cookie was probably going to be no good, but I couldn't resist the bright pink color and Mickey Mouse sprinkles - I love Disney! I was right, the cookie itself was very hard and basically tasted like food coloring, but it still put a smile on my face :) I wouldn't recommend buying it, unless you are getting it as a gift or something for a little (or big...) child who happens to love Disney as much as I do.


This was the Dulce de Leche empaƱada - the pastry once again was very buttery and I really enjoyed the dulce de leche filling. It got pretty stale by the second day, so I would recommend eating it quickly after purchasing!



This concha with sprinkles was basically like an oversized and kind of stale doughnut - I wouldn't recommend it. But once again, the colorful sprinkles persuaded me to get it!

What You Should Do: If you're in the mood for a sweet and buttery pastry but don't want to break the bank, give them a try! Try to go for things that look like the needed to be made fresh and recently - i.e. cream or fruit filled, and you'll probably be more likely to get something great. And if not, hey, you only spent 75 cents, so it's worth the gamble if you ask me!

Read other reviews here: 
Delipan Bakery on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say that I think this is an AWESOME idea for a blog!! We just moved from Provo last year, and we are missing the food SO. MUCH.

    I could visit Provo and do nothing but eat for weeks and be happy :)

    Kudos on the great blog idea! I'll be following along... and missing the food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hope you'll find great restaurants in your new home!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...