Navigation

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Cubby's Chicago Beef

Where: Cubby's Chicago Beef, 1258 N State Street, Provo

Who Went: Chelsey & Owen

Number of Visits: 1

What We Ordered: Cockadoodledoo Chicken Sandwich, Tri-Tip Steak Sandwich Cali-Style, & Blue Cheese Buffalo Fries

What It Cost: $19.90

What We Thought:


Finally! A place so much more worthy than Little Caesar's, Carl's Jr, or Sonic to eat at that is within walking distance of our house! I've been really excited to try this restaurant ever since I saw the sign pop up around the corner, and am pleased to announce that it more than lived up to my hopes and dreams.

When we first entered Cubby's, Owen immediately loved the chic wood and chalkboard interior. When we asked Cubby what was "Chicago" about the beef, he explained that the meat is from local sources (making it extra fresh and delicious) but is prepared in traditional Chicago styles, like the steak sandwich and hot dogs.


I'm a huge buffalo sauce lover, so I knew we HAD to try the blue cheese buffalo fries. The blue cheese was milder than I had anticipated, so it really was a great balance for the spiciness of the buffalo sauce on the fries. I usually prefer thicker fries, but these ones were great with just the right amount of sauce and flavorings.


I never thought I would be so pumped about a chicken sandwich - usually chicken sandwiches are just the more boring and healthy alternative to burgers. Not this sandwich, my friends. First off, the chicken is cooked to perfection - flavorful and surprisingly moist. The Swiss cheese paired great with the meat, there was just the right amount of mixed greens, and the homemade avocado spread really brought it all together for me. We loved the whole wheat roll it was on, and were altogether impressed with how incredible this normally-boring option was!



I knew the tri-tip steak sandwich was going to be good, and it totally lived up to my expectations. I ordered it Cali-style, which added thick slices of avocado, melty cheddar cheese and crispy maple bacon, and opted to get spicy rather than sweet barbecue sauce. It probably would have still been delicious without the bacon, and I was glad that I chose the spicy BBQ sauce - it was a great combination with the creamy avocado. There was so much meat on the sandwich, all richly seasoned and tasty, and I also loved the grilled onions, which added a perfect savory sweetness to the sandwich. Someone asked me the other day what kind of bread it came on, and to be honest with you, I don't really remember much about the bread except that it wasn't horrible, it held the sandwich together, and I was way too distracted by the wonderful things that were going on inside the bread!

What You Should Do: Definitely check them out. Keep on walking past that cheap-o, horrible Little Caesar's and get yourself a real treat here at Cubby's. The sandwiches were unique and gratifying, and we will definitely be coming here again to try some of their other menu options!


Read other reviews here:
Cubby's Chicago Beef on Urbanspoon


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this review! My wife and I just went there tonight, we loved the place! We both had the tri-tip steak sandwich with the mustard barbecue, and we absolutely loved them. The steak and bacon were so fresh, and the sauce was great. I'm not a huge fan of onions, but they really added to the sandwich. We also had the bleu cheese fries, which were also amazingly delicious! Definitely pretty messy, but worth it.

    We talked to the owner, he was the one working the counter. He told us he read the review, and is very thankful. Thanks for letting us know about this place, now I have to see if I can convince Qualtrics to have them deliver for our weekly Engineering meeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was equally delicious for you! If Qualtrics could get them, that would be awesome!

      Delete
  3. I really want to try Cubby's. I've seen its name pop up a lot on Yelp and Urbanspoon. I did a review in Salt Lake called Johnny Beef's and he has Chicago style dogs and food, and was telling him about this place. He told me I should go down and try it. Of course I need to try J Dawgs too. I haven't been anywhere in Provo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the beautiful blog post, and comments to follow. Come again my friends.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...