Navigation

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Yuki Shaved Ice

Where: Yuki Shaved Ice, 1796 N 950 W, Provo

Who Went: Chelsey, Michelle & Ashley

Number of Visits: 1

What We Ordered: Three Smalls - Nectarine and Lime, Avocado with Sweetened Condensed Milk, Strawberry and White Peach

What It Cost: $3.25 each

What We Thought:

I know, I know, it's technically October already but hey, the high for Provo today is almost 80 degrees, so I don't think that going out for some shaved ice is out of the question! People eat frozen yogurt all year long after all, so I thought I'd squeeze this one while the weather is still warm.

I previously wrote a loving review of the classic Hokulia Shave Ice right near BYU, and I still believe that they are my favorite shaved ice spot for traditional taste and cheap prices. However, if you are in the mood to spend a little extra and try something new, Yuki Shaved Ice is producing "artisan" shaved ice right on the corner of Mountain West Burrito.


Originally when I saw this little shop pop up, I rolled my eyes at the term "artisan" - it seems to be such a hot word right now and people are throwing artisan onto everything these days. However, Yuki seemed to live up to their claim, producing flaky delicious ice with made-from-scratch syrups. Yep, their syrups are actually made from real fruit (and some vegetables!), not just a crazy mix of artificial flavorings! They have a range of seasonal syrup flavors, including some exciting types like avocado, beet, and I'm pretty sure I even saw jalapeño there once!


The flavors were very fresh and really tasted like they were really fruit once upon a time. They will offer you sweetened condensed milk for free, or you can pay a little extra to get some vanilla ice cream in the center. I thoroughly enjoyed my nectarine flavor, and everyone else was impressed with how fresh the flavors were. The avocado flavor even had that thick creamy texture you would expect from a syrup made from avocados!


They are much smaller portion sizes than Hokulia and I think to be fully satisfied I would want the larger size next time. The wooden spoons were a nice nostalgic touch for me, reminiscent of those little orange creamsicle ice cream dishes, but the paper bowl it was served in was weird to me and somehow I felt like it affected the flavor.

What You Should Do: I would definitely give them at least one try - they truly live up to their "artisan" claim, making fresh syrups from real seasonal fruit. Their portion sizes are definitely smaller and more expensive, but worth it for the exceptional treat every now and then!
Read other reviews here:
Yuki Shaved Ice on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Ok yum! Except I hate eating off wooden spoons...it's at riverwoods this year I heard
    , can't wait to try it

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...