Navigation

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Taquería 27

Where: Taquería 27, 1615 S Foothill Drive, Salt Lake City

Who Went: Chelsey & Mom

Number of Visits: 1

What We Ordered: Roasted Guacamole, Carnitas Taco, Fish Tacos (Fish of the Day - Ono), & Carne Tacos

What It Cost: $30.18

What We Thought: 

I'm really excited because I have a lot of places to share with you that I've been lately - something about the holiday season coming up (and also finals season) has made me want to eat out all the time, so we've been to tons of restaurants lately!


Though it was difficult to find (especially if it's snowing outside!), we stopped by Taquería 27 because I noticed they've been getting lots of press of Urbanspoon. We started out with some roasted guacamole which had highs and lows - though the guacamole was very good and given in a good portion, the flavor of the roasted peppers didn't really come through. The chips were not very salted, which was a little disappointing, since they don't have salt on the tables, but overall we still enjoyed the guacamole, thought it was a good starter, and it was just the right size. Very fresh taste.


Of course we ordered some tacos for our lunch, starting with some more traditional carnitas tacos. The pork was very tender, which was a nice contrast to the crunchy chicharones, and I really enjoyed the flavor of the charred tomatillo salsa. The corn tortillas are some of the best I've ever had - they taste freshly made, are not dry at all, and add a wonderful soft flavor to the tacos.


The fish tacos were my second favorite - a delicious crunchy slaw was paired nicely with the fried fish, and I thought the jalapeño cream sauce was very good. Only one of the tacos came with a little bit of lime, which really heightened the flavor, so it would have been nice if they both had the lime. The ono was a little overcooked, but still had a nice taste, fairly decent texture, and was overall enjoyable.


These carne tacos were my absolute favorite. In so many Mexican-style restaurants we've been to lately, the carne asada meat always seems SOOOO dry. Taquería 27 wonderfully did not fall into this category - the carne tacos were succulent and flavorful, and I loved the chimichurri sauce with the savory meat. The avocado and radishes provided a delightful dichotomy of creaminess and crispness, and I wished that we had ordered 6 of this flavor!

What You Should Do: I would definitely recommend Taquería 27 as one of our new favorite taco places in Utah! This place is a little expensive for tacos, so I probably wouldn't add it to the top of my list, but it was still pretty darn good. It was the fresh-made corn tortillas that really sold me - this place aims for the freshest flavors and they claim that they don't have a freezer or microwave! I think I would have to go shopping a lot more often without those two things, but it's great for eating out!
Read other reviews here:
Taqueria 27 on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. Not to be a "Debby-downer" but I thought that the goal of this blog was to review restaurants around the BYU area? I feel like you have been reviewing a lot of places up in Salt Lake lately and there are sooooo many places in Provo that I would love to see you review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have any specific places you want me to visit in Provo - we are always looking for more suggestions! :)

      Delete
    2. I dont' want to over whelm you with suggestions, but I came up with a few that my husband and I either love, or I would really like to hear a review from you on them (because I have developed an opinion, or I have been wondering if it is worth trying...) and they are all in Provo. I understand that this isn't your job and you prob prefer to go places that you are excited about, but here are some:

      Enliten Cafe. Banana Leaf. Center St Bistro. Braza Express. Spicy Corea. Spicy Thai. Thai Ruby. Shoots. Terzi's Pizza. La Carreta (actually in Orem). De Mae. DP Cheesestakes. Waffle Love (food truck). Muse Music Cafe.

      Delete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...