Navigation

Friday, May 1, 2015

ALAMEXO

Where: Alamexo, 268 S State Street, Salt Lake City

Who Went: Owen and Chelsey

Number of Visits: 1

What We Ordered: Guacamole en Molcajete, Carne Asada Tacos, Enchiladas Barbacoa de Res

What It Cost: $63.76

What We Thought: 

Expensive, quite tasty, artisan Mexican food.


Mexican food in Utah certainly is of no shortage (thank goodness).


I have to make a confession to you - there are no other guacamoles in my life anymore. I've given them all up in complete devotion to this perfect, amazing, wonderful guacamole. The servers surely hate it, since they are required to mix up all the perfectly chopped ingredients in the molcajete right by your tableside, but it is so fresh and creamy and ripe and amazing that I will have to have to inconvenience them longer. It has inspired me to make molcajetes my new gift for newlyweds, because if it is the secret to Perfect Guacamole, everyone needs access. STAT.


Alamexo focuses on fresh, flavorful, and inventive Mexican flavors, and each dish shines in a unique way. The food is very filling and satisfying - definitely work up an appetite before going here!


Even the side dishes are divine - flavored rice with pepitas and slow roasted black beans with cotija. The beans were so delicious, I wish I could eat them every day!


I ordered the tacos de carne asada, so I'm sure you could imagine my surprise when this "DIY" plate appeared in front of me :) In the mini skillet, there was melted Oaxaca and adobe marinated bistek topped with pico de gallo, which I was to pile onto fresh tortillas. Though the flavors were quite delicious, THERE WAS SO MUCH CHEESE. The cheese was really rich, and I have to admit, it was a big intense and a little indigestion-prone...


And then, churros con chocolate. WOWZA. It has redefined churros for me, they were so amazing. This almost led to challenges in our marriage, since I tried to sneak it from my husband's plate...

What You Should Do: I would totally go again, just for the guacamole. It was definitely filling enough for a meal! I just wonder two things -- 1) Would they be totally pissed? and 2) Will I still get the churros? It is a little expensive, but for a special Mexican treat, you can't beat this place!
Read other reviews here:
Alamexo on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are posting again! I have been a follower for years. Definitely looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are posting again! I have been a follower for years. Definitely looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...