Navigation

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Awful Waffle - Update

Where: Awful Waffle, 815 N 700 E, Provo

Who Went: Owen & Chelsey x2, then Chelsey, Monica, & Devynne

Number of Visits: 3

What We Ordered: Liège waffle with Nutella and Whipped Cream, Crêpe with Strawberries and Grandma Nellie's Cream Syrup, and Sausage & Egg Crêpe

What It Cost: $13.85

What We Thought:


As some of you may recall, during the early days of my site I previously wrote a fairly scathing review for the Awful Waffle when it first opened. I felt like they were still trying to work out the kinks and I didn't really get the whole waffle craze. But after many protests from loyal waffle fans and friends, and my revelatory experience at Bruges, I decided to go back and give them another try.




I remember that last time I felt like I was overwhelmed by all of the choices for toppings that I ended up ordering too many toppings and it just didn't work very well. So this time we decided to keep things a little simpler, which was a great choice. You can see from the picture above the difference in the amount of toppings that they used to give compared to now - before I complained that they hardly gave any syrup at all, but since they have been in operation for a while it looks like they have made a delicious change for the better.

Though I think I still prefer the taste of the waffles at Bruges in Salt Lake, I do have to commend Awful Waffle for their great variety of options. Any topping you can think of, they have it. And unlike Bruges, they also now have the choice of a Brussels or Liège style waffle, in addition to gratifying savory crêpes. I'm particularly fond of the locally-sourced Grandma Nellie's Old-Fashioned Cream Syrup that I've never had anywhere else - it is less overpowering and thicker than normal syrup, and is absolutely amazing.




They've also changed from the styrofoam plates that drove me crazy before to these cardboard boats which are much easier to eat from. The crêpes do sometimes stick to the boat itself, but they are much better. We also loved how the egg crêpe was served in a convenient foil wrapping, which would be great for BYU students who are looking for a quick tasty lunch near campus on the go. I like I definitely prefer savory crêpes to sweet crêpes - this one contained plenty of cheese, well-prepared eggs, and flavorful spicy sausage.




What You Should Do: Definitely go. They have made a ton of improvements since first opening, and have so many different choices that you'll never get bored. I love the addition of the savory crêpes, and want to try the barbecue chicken one next time I go - I've heard it's phenomenal!


Read other reviews here:
Awful Waffle on Urbanspoon


*********************************************************************************

Also, for those of you who are concerned - I do not have a personal vendetta against the owners of Dave & Cranky Chuckie's. I just did not enjoy the meal I was served. Yes the photos make the food seem appealing, but as I am sure we all know, just because something looks good doesn't mean it tastes good (see McDonald's commercials for examples). I was completely honest in the review, and don't feel like I need to sugarcoat anything just because other people disagree. However, I am sure I will be back there again some time, and hopefully, like the Awful Waffle, they will prove me wrong and I can get some of that food that everyone else seems to love! 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with their variety choices and their prices have gone up but due to its popularity and location that they are at, it makes sense why they upped it. But love their sweet waffles and crepes! Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...