Navigation

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Hickory Kist

Where: Hickory Kist Deli, 42 W Center Street, Provo

Who Went: Owen

Number of Visits: 3

What We Ordered: Various sandwiches and sliders

What It Cost: $2 c/o Qualtrics, but would normally cost about $5

What We Thought:


If you know anyone who is into computers or sales, you should definitely tell them to work at Qualtrics. It is a wonderful company that treats its employees fabulously. They take care of their employees so well that Owen (my husband) often ends up with free or highly discounted catered lunch 2-3 times a week. Though this may not be the best for the waistline, it is great for the site, so I asked him to share a little bit with us about his most recent lunch experience. He emailed me his thoughts, and titled the email "Hickory Kist never ceases to disappoint." Here's what he said:





I was expecting sliders, I got a sandwich on slider bread.

Listen to this description of the sliders that come with this meal and note how appetizing they sound:


"$2 Tuesday on 1/31 will be sliders, potato salad and a cookie from Hickory Kist.  Each meal will come with an Italian Muffaletta slider, a Buffalo Chicken slider and a Miami Pork Cuban slider (the 3 sliders are the equivalent of a 6 inch sandwich)"

This is what I really got:

Italian Muffaletta slider = baloney with some pickled preserves.

Miami Pork Cuban slider = pork (not even close to as good as cafe rio - too sweet, not spicy, no flavor) and a few strands of pathetically chopped lettuce.  Quite disappointing.

This one was the best:
Buffalo Chicken slider  = turkey, a single pickle chip, mayo and mustard - no chicken, no buffalo sauce. It was a turkey sandwich.  I was actually looking quite forward to the buffalo...

About the potato salad, you could get better from ANY grocery store, even Alan's.

The only possible redeeming quality of this meal was the cookie.  It was soft and chewy and tasted fresh, unlike anything else in this styrofoam box.



I would not say the food is gut-wrenching, but I would never go there by choice. When I think of sliders, I think of a juicy GRILLED hamburger or chicken breast, not sandwiches. And if you are going to surprise me, at least TRY to make it better. Everything I have ever had from them, especially this meal, has left me disappointed and wanting. 

What You Should Do: Avoid. Who calls a dry slice of turkey on a stale roll a slider? Huge disappointment, and I don't want you to have to endure the pain I've suffered. That's why we're here for you. 

1 comment:

  1. This is funny. We LOVE this place. We always order the Clintster. It has such a crazy combination of turkey, chicken, bbq sauce, cream cheese...We go all the time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...