Navigation

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Chocolate

Where: The Chocolate, 212 S State Street, Orem

Who Went: Chelsey & some girls at a bridal shower, then Chelsey & Owen

Number of Visits: 2

What We Ordered: Kitty Katrina cake, Cazookie with half peanut butter and half white chocolate macadamia nut, Cannoli

What It Cost: $16.00

What We Thought:


We decided to check out this dessert café after it was recommended to us on our Qualtrics survey - I had been there once before for a cute little bridal shower, but it was catered just with sugar and chocolate chip cookies, so I felt like I needed to try more options to get a better perspective.


We started out with the Kitty Katrina cake - one of their most popular options with what they proclaim to have "the best buttercream" frosting ever. As we were ordering, I thought to myself that it better darn be the best frosting I've ever had, because a little slice of cake cost almost $5! You have to pay even more if you want the traditional ice cream with your cake, so I said no thanks to a $1.79 scoop of ice cream, and went for the cake straight. The cake was good, moist and full of vanilla flavor. But was it worth the heavy price tag? No way. If I'm paying almost $5 for a little dessert, it better at least fill me up or be something incredible I would never make myself. Vanilla cake that doesn't even come with ice cream? Not good enough to me.


Then we got a cazookie -- an oven-heated, slightly uncooked and gooey cookie with vanilla bean ice cream on top. We chose to get half peanut butter cookie and half white chocolate macadamia nut (also as per recommendation). Though Owen found this to be way overpoweringly sweet, I think it was actually my favorite dish of the evening. At least you felt like it was satisfying, and it was certainly large enough for two people to share. I really like gooey cookies, so this was right up my alley. The macadamia nuts in the one half were a little too big, but at least I didn't feel like they were skimping out on anything there. If I was ever to go there again, I would probably just order this for two people, and get half peanut butter and half chocolate chip.



We also got a cannoli, which was Owen's favorite. A crunchy almond-flavored pastry with ricotta and chocolate chips inside, and some smashed pistachios on the ends. It was pretty good, tasted better chilled, and at least was something unique and fun. I thought that the chocolate chips inside were a little weird and disturbed the smooth texture of the filling, but Owen was a fan.

What You Should Do: If you're out of dessert places (like we almost are!) and want to try something new, I guess you could give it a try. They do have more options than your typical dessert place, but a surprising lack of chocolate things for a place called The Chocolate...I would recommend the Cazookie to share (though the Sasquatch at Brick Oven is a little cheaper and has a brownie inside too...mmmm), otherwise your dessert option could quickly add up to the same cost as dinner! Overall a cute location but too pricey and not entirely unique.


Read other reviews here:
The Chocolate, a Dessert Cafe on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. These desserts are so scrumptious! Specially the cazookie! However, I can't eat too much sweets because I just had dental implants with my dentist in Omaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to visit and review our cafe!

    If you come in again, I'd personally recommend trying the chocolate chip/white chocolate Macademia-nut Cazookie. That's my PERSONAL favorite, bust also our most popular combo--unless you just didn't care for the Macademia nuts--then go with PB and Chocolate Chips. Definitely a share-able dessert though.

    The Cannoli has a riccota cheese filling with chocolate chips, so our goal there has always been to serve a less sweet, more of an East-Coast-style cannoli, closer to what you'd find in DC or NYC. It is definitely our least "sugary" dessert, except maybe our Red Velvet cake.

    But again, thank you for coming in and reviewing us! This is a great and much needed website!

    Craig
    The Chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha love the random comments above...I agree with your assessment. I would have given The Chocolate 1 star. Overpriced, mediocre desserts that I could make at home, rude, incompetent staff that would rather text on their phones than serve guests. NEVER COMING HERE AGAIN

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...