Navigation

Monday, March 12, 2012

Molly's

Where: Molly's, 753 W Columbia Lane, Provo

Who Went: Chelsey & Owen

Number of Visits: 1

What We Ordered: Carolina-Style Pulled Pork with Cheddar Biscuit, Baked Beans and Mashed Potatoes with Country Gravy, Daily Special -- Half-Rack of Ribs with Shrimp Chowder and Mac & Cheese

What It Cost: $20.36

What We Thought:



Molly's, with their short window of lunch hours (11-2 M-F), is known for their classic comfort, homestyle cooking. Have you ever wondered why it's called homestyle cooking? I know I do. That kind of food is definitely not commonplace in my home..."homestyle" cooking for today would be more like quesadillas, PB&J, and maybe some pasta with red sauce. Anyway...back to Molly's...

So we got there on a Friday a little after noon, and the place was PACKED! I was surprised at how many people were there, and even by the time that we made it through the cafeteria-style line, there weren't any seats open! The service is fast, as everything is prepared earlier that day and is out & ready. I felt like the portion sizes were MORE than generous -- it is pretty heavy food, and we were both quite full afterwards.

I got the pulled pork -- it was very flavorful, and cooked to perfection. I was in love with the texture, but wasn't so keen on the sauce flavor. It was a little too tangy for my taste, and the two options for BBQ sauce on the table also had more vinegar than my taste buds prefer. The baked beans looked incredibly promising -- there were many types of beans, and a few other vegetables mixed in. Once again, the texture was enlivened with the different bean varieties, but it basically (to my non-Southern taste buds) tasted like your typical baked beans to me. The mashed potatoes were also nothing special -- white gravy on white potatoes isn't super visually appealing, and there weren't any chunks or peels in the potatoes that might make it seem like these babies were once a starchy tuber. Some people have complained about the biscuit, but I actually thought it was pretty delicious. Light, crispy on the outside, and buttery. Perfect.


Owen got the daily special -- RIBS. We have a special place in our heart for well-prepared ribs. The best ribs need to be smoky, juicy, flavorful, and not too coated in masking BBQ sauce. These ribs were top notch in all of those categories. I have never tasted smokier ribs in my life. It was amazing! The shrimp chowder was alright - not too shrimpy, which was good for the shrimp-hater within myself, though it did look a little greasy on top. Owen thought that the mac & cheese was too cheesy, but it was JUST right to me! Too much cheese? Impossible.

What You Should Do: Go! But make sure to go early so that you can get a seat! They also supposedly run out of things sometimes, so guarantee yourself a good meal by getting there as early as you can. I think I would have gone for a different selection of sides next time -- the Dutch oven potatoes have received rave reviews, and I would choose a salad to lighten things up a bit. Molly's, though only "established" in 2010, has that old-time, cozy friendly feel, and will fill you up with some well-prepared comfort food that will keep you going for the rest of the day!


Read other reviews here:
Molly's on Urbanspoon


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...