Navigation

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Los Hermanos

Where: Los Hermanos, 71 E Center Street, Provo

Who Went: Chelsey + some roommates, then Chelsey & Owen

Number of Visits: 2

What We Ordered: Chicken Chimichanga, Pork Enchiladas

What It Cost: ~$9-12/person

What We Thought: 


It's been a while since we've been to Los Hermanos. And honestly, we're not too sad about it. Every time I tell people that I have a website where I write about restaurants I've eaten at, they always ask me, "So where's the best Mexican place around here?" You have no idea how hard this question is to answer! Everyone has super different preferences when it comes to Mexican food, and I actually haven't been to any Mexican places that have blown my mind. To me there are a few requirements for the perfect Mexican restaurant:

1. Chips and salsa. It better be free, come with refills, and have a fantastic salsa that isn't super watery (what is the deal with watery salsa??). The chips should be salted and freshly fried, and you know that the chips and salsa are good if I eat enough that I'm mostly full by the time my food arrives.

2. A menu with things I cannot pronounce on it. If all of the names of the food items have been completely Americanized and nothing seems strange or unfamiliar, it's probably not going to be that great.

3. Big portion sizes and plenty of well-prepared meat. Please don't skimp out on the meat or seasonings, and please don't cook my meat to death.

4. Beans and rice on the side. White rice is a no-no, and it is best if the beans taste like they were prepared at the restaurant, not at Rosarita canning factory.

5. Food that actually tastes good.

Unfortunately, Los Hermanos is not the place for this. For some inexplicable reason, they are always super busy there and you have to wait a long time. Not really my favorite thing to do. They do serve chips and salsa before your food arrives, but it's just alright. The food, forgettable. The service, slow and unsatisfying. Altogether, this is not the good old Mexican place that you are looking for.

What You Should Do: Go if you have to. I felt like the prices were too high, the food too bland, the service too delayed, and haven't really ever wanted to return. However, one time we went to the Los Hermanos restaurant in Lindon, and for some reason, I have better memories of that location instead. The quest for the best Mexican in Utah Valley continues!

Read other reviews here:
Los Hermanos on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

  1. I worked there and while their drinks are really good(maybe I'll make some one of these days for you!:), I don't think the food is that great either! Their free chips and salsa is good though. :) What a great site you have, I love it! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And I'll be counting on those drinks in the future!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. We've been on this search for years - to find a great Mexican restaurant in Utah Valley. We've tried probably a dozen, but still haven't found "the one". Have to say my favorite chips & salsa here are the ones from Chili's...yep, not even a Mexican restaruant.

    But, I agree w/ Sarah - the drinks @ Los Hermanos are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...