Navigation

Friday, March 30, 2012

Lone Star Taquería

Where: Lone Star Taquería, 2265 Fort Union Blvd, Cottonwood Heights, UT

Who Went: Chelsey, Devynne, and Owen

Number of Visits: 1

What We Ordered: Burrito de Carne Desebrada, Burrito de Pollo Asado, Lone Star Nachos with Chicken, Piña and Tamarindo Jarritos Sodas

What It Cost: $28.73 for all three people


What We Thought: 


I've once said that one of the hardest questions I get from writing on this site is "What is the best Mexican food around?" Mexican food is so subjective, and there are many different variations (authentic, Tex-Mex, fresh Mexican, etc.) that I've had a hard time deciding on an official favorite.

Well, thanks to Lone Star Taquería, that difficult predicament has become easy to solve!


After reading lots of reviews on Urbanspoon.com, I decided we needed to check this place out. Tons of people say that you HAVE to get the fish tacos, but somehow, none of us were in a fish taco mood so Owen and Devynne both got a burrito and I got the nachos.


The place was TOTALLY packed and busy, so we had to sit outside. Of course, this was one of the first "nice" days that spring, so I had worn just a t-shirt and was freeeeeeezing after about 10 minutes outdoors. So I sent Owen inside to do the "BYU parking lot technique" where he basically hovered like a creepy person until someone started to pack up their stuff, and then he slid into their seat and signalled for us to come inside! I guess we have learned something at this university after all!


Our drinks were served with a slice of lime, which of course just made them infinitely better. I do love my Jarritos with Mexican food, but this just brought it to a whole new level! Plus they had a strawberry flavor, which I've only ever seen a few times...I will definitely have to get it on the next visit.


When we first received our meals, I was shocked at how HUGE the serving sizes were! For the pretty low prices, we definitely got our money's worth. And just to prove how big these nachos were...


this was how much was left after 30 minutes of eating it!!! Next time we go here (which will hopefully be soon!) I think I will just get the nachos to split. They were SO good. Best nachos, in the world probably. The chips were freshly fried and thicker than usual, which made them a fabulous base for all the nacho toppings. There was a ton of fresh and creamy guacamole on top, which they didn't even charge extra for, like most Mexican places do. The grilled chicken was exceptional well-seasoned and there was so much of it, and I loved the rice and beans as well. The only thing I regret about this meal was that it did not fare so great as leftovers the next day...but I still inhaled it anyway! Great fresh flavors, and a great deal as well.


Both Owen and Devynne got the burritos, which pretty much looked the same on the outside. According to their reports, the burritos were also spectacular, though it was hard to get a report from them because they were too busy eating and were completely immersed in the food experience.


There is a lot of good stuff going on in there. Even though the burritos were, as one Urbanspoon reviewer stated, "big enough to fit a small child in," both Owen and Devynne were compelled to finish their entire burrito because each bite was just as good as the first one!


They also have a salsa bar at the front of the restaurant, so you can load up on as much salsa as you want! Not that the burritos or nachos really needed any extra flavor, but it was fun to experiment with the different choices. We liked all of the salsas, but I think the pico was our favorite.

What You Should Do: Go immediately. This my friends, is the best Mexican in Utah I've found so far. They have amazing prices, amazing flavors, amazing service, and amazing options. I was completely blown away with how delicious their food was, and will definitely be returning soon. Though next time I think I will certainly have to try the fish tacos and bring a jacket or go on a warm summer night!

Read other reviews here:
Lone Star Taqueria on Urbanspoon



1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite mexican places in Utah. You definitely need to try the fish tacos. I also love the shrimp tacos.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...